The primary concern for physicians will be the management of medication and non-medication orders, and the translation of important information about patients’ clinical status from a paper record to an electronic one.
Physicians facilitate five tasks as part of cutover processes:
- validating continuing medications to be entered by pharmacists,
- documenting continuing non-medication orders to be entered by the cutover nurses,
- optionally entering or validating patient-level health information for patients with complex problems,
- validating entered orders on the launch morning, and
- providing a brief summary note of the patient’s status at launch.